You're invited to tour
Native Genealogy Center
Located on the western shores of Keweenaw Bay
Site marker at the Assinins Baraga Center
The Assinins Baraga Center is the site of a Catholic Indian Mission and first settlement on the west side of the bay.
The ABC organization is run by a small group of volunteers committed to preserving and sharing historic information related this CommUnity. With the backing of the Most Holy Name of Jesus & Kateri Tekakwitha Church, ABC is based out of a Convent and the historic School House. The property continues to be owned by the Catholic Diocese of Marquette. Local volunteers of ABC care for the property and run the tours.
Please call to schedule an individual or group tour of the Church, School House and Cemetery. Church Office - 906.524.6424 or 353.6469
Sunday Mass is held at 11:30 am
PO Box 265
Baraga, MI 49908
Old US Highway 41
Assinins, MI 49908
Located 2 miles north of Baraga on U.S. 41. Look for big white cross on the hill.
The site at Assinins includes the church, school house, convent ruins and a short woodland trail that leads to the historic cemetery nearby. A beautiful location to pray and enjoy the sunrises.
Historic Sites to Visit
Allow 2 to 4 hours to visit all these sites in good weather.
The best time of year to do this is spring and fall when there are no bugs and less snow.
The distance totals about 30 miles.
Baraga County and the Village of Baraga were named after Frederic Baraga to honor his contribution to Keweenaw Bay in the 1800s. It was Baraga’s dear friend, an early pioneer and founding father named Bendry, who was responsible for naming the village Baraga. Baraga County includes the communities of Assinins, Baraga, L’Anse and Zeba.
Baraga Shrine was built in 1972 above the Red Rocks cliff at the head of the bay. The statue stands 31 feet tall and is maintained by Knights of Columbus and the Bishop Baraga Foundation. The Shrine Gift Shop is privately owned.
Catholic Church ~ Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha was formerly the Catholic Church at Pequaming. It was moved to the present site – just below Zeba on the water ~ around 1949.
Methodist Church ~ Zeba Indian Mission has held services since the 1830s. The church is located on Zeba Road and the church bell was a gift from Fr. Baraga. Zeba is the current hub of the Indian community on the east side of the bay.
Pequaming was home to Indians in the 1600s and off and on since then. It used to be a sacred gathering place. Indians spent summers there. It later became a thriving industrial community. Today it is woods and residences.
Pinery Lakes Historic Indian Cemetery is located just north of L’Anse. Take the Skanee Road north to the Indian Cemetery Road on the right. Take Indian Cemetery Road to the end (about 1 mile).
Sacred Heart Catholic Church was established by Fr. Terhorst in 1872. The Most Holy Name of Jesus was the Mother Church. Located on Broad Street in L’Anse.
St. Ann’s Catholic Church was established by Fr. Terhorst in 1886. Most Holy Name of Jesus was the Mother Church. Located on Lyons Street and Highway 38 just west of US 41.
Crebassa’s Trading Post (est. 1836) was the first settlement on the east side of the bay and the place Baraga stayed during his first visit to the area in May 1843.
A memorial marks the site on a hillside just below Curwood Park (L’Anse Twp. Park). Crebassa was Agent for the American Fur Trading Post owned by John Jacob Astor.
Designed and hosted by C3 Development